Pubs and other late-night venues can be challenging and rewarding to run, but sometimes getting the correct insurance is not always easy. This is especially true if there are special features, such as a thatched roof. However, it’s well worth the effort to avoid costly fines and legal bills. Here’s a quick guide to what insurance you need. 

Public liability insurance

This is essential to protect you, should a member of the public file a claim for injury incurred on your premises, such as slipping on a spilt drink. Claims can also be made if a person falls ill after consuming food or drink that you have supplied. Be aware that in most cases, areas such as dancefloors and kid’s playgrounds need separate cover.

Employer’s liability insurance

This is legally binding, even if you only employ a few part-time staff members. It is also in your own interests to protect your business from claims of illness, accident or injury to staff, or claims of unfair dismissal and other types of grievance.

Events insurance

If you hold gigs or other events, you may need separate cover. It may be covered by your public liability insurance, but its best to check the small print first. You may need to declare extended opening hours, extra equipment, or an above average volume of customers.

Contents and building insurance

This is to protect you from events such as fire and flood, and also violent theft and damage.

Business interruption

If for any reason your business needs to close for a length of time, this will help you to cover your running costs and compensate for lost trading.

This may sound like a lot of paperwork, but it’s best to bite the bullet, and ask for help if you need advice. If you have specific needs, shop around because you will find that there is a broker out there with exactly the right deal for you.

For Staffordshire business insurance, talk to us today.