Running a restaurant can be a very rewarding occupation, both financially and personally. As all UK pubs, restaurants, and other indoor food vendors prepare to reopen shortly, the owners of these types of business will no doubt be checking up on their insurance policies. Here is a quick guide to insurance requirements for commercial food premises.


Commercial property

If the restaurant owns the premises, then it should be covered for risks such as flood, fire, and damage from theft with commercial buildings insurance. Fires are a particular hazard for restaurant kitchens, as there may be several high-temperature appliances on the go at once, in a busy space where staff are working at close quarters.


Contents and stock cover

This applies to restaurants who rent or own the premises. Contents insurance provides financial protection against accidental damage, loss, or theft of equipment which is essential to operate the business. Examples include furniture, tills, ovens, and general kitchen appliances.

Stock content covers ingredients and prepared food from loss, theft, or damage, but be sure to read the small print as there may be exceptions.


Public liability insurance

This is essential to protect any business that deals with members of the public. It covers claims of accidental damage or injury to visitors, if the business owner is found liable. For example, if a customer trips over a loose floor tile, they may claim compensation for injuries caused.


Product liability insurance

This is absolutely essential for restaurants. It covers cases of food poisoning and allergic reactions in customers who have become ill after consuming food, and pursue a claim of bodily injury against the business.


Employers’ liability insurance

This is required by law for all workers, including casual and temporary staff. It will protect the business from a compensation claim from an employee who has been injured at work, for example.


If you are looking for takeaway business insurance, please contact us today!