If you’re never without your mobile phone or you like catching up with shows on your tablet every morning during the long commute, you might want to consider adding personal belongings insurance to your current buildings or contents policy.
While your contents/home insurance protects these items in your house, the cover stops as soon as you take them outside the boundaries of your home.
We get claims for:
- Phones left in taxis
- Cameras lost on holiday
- Rings and jewellery that slip off in the sea
- Wallets and purses left in the supermarket by mistake
- Leaving your iPod on the train
- Having your watch stolen from a hotel room
To insure against these kind of things, you’d need to add Personal belongings cover. It’s there to help when you’re out and about.
There are multiple aspects that make up insurance policies. While you may not fully understand each section of the contracts, it’s important that you learn and understand what the contract specifies, including your limits. That way, if you need to file a claim, you will know what the insurance company will and will not cover.
Why is personal belongings insurance important?
Personal belongings insurance offers protection for your personal effects when they are removed from your home. If an item of yours is lost, stolen, or damaged while away from your home, it would allow you to replace that item.
Most of us don’t realise how much the items we carry around with us every day are worth. A tablet and mobile phone could be worth several hundred pounds by themselves, let alone any money we may have in our bags and pockets.
Is there anything Personal belongings cover won’t cover against?
Yes. It doesn’t cover:
- Wear and tear
- Things that are damaged through everyday use (e.g. sports equipment)
- Things stolen from cars or vans, unless they’re out of sight and someone had to break in to find them. (So a handbag that’s locked in the boot and can’t be seen from the street would be covered. But a Tom-Tom that’s there on the dashboard wouldn’t).
- Pets and other animals.
It doesn’t cover things that are used for business, either, which would include:
- Business cash, credit or debit cards
- Tools, even if they’re locked up and can’t be seen.
Just Quote Me Personal Belongings Insurance Quotes
You can contact Just Quote Me today to discuss your personal belongings insurance and we can help you find quotes to suit your specific items. Contact us to find out more.